Sunday, July 17

Lying planet

Yesterday I was bored of being in this hotel and decided to check out some beaches. According to my lonely planet the waves should be perfect for beginning rookies like me. So I just left and took a big yellow American schoolbus used as public transport here. I'm still not used to the staring people, really I'm I the first Kaukasian invading this place? :-)
So the bus dropped me off at this beautiful beach with black volcanic sand and indeed perfect waves but no   place to rent a surfboard, only straw beachbars and palmtrees. I also saw for the first time the volcanoes of Nicaragua as I turned my head towards the land. Pretty impressive view I must say.

Last year I already learned that the lonely planet can sometimes also be the "lying planet", I read it was only 5 minutes walking fromt that beach to the nearest town but hell no. It was like a two hour walk and in 32°C even if it's cloudy that's just suicidal. But I met some funny people along my walk: an old man collecting crabs in the mangrove beside the road and trying to convince me to let him drive me on his bike to town, some woman telling me I should wait for a bus to go to Corinto,...

Finally when another person told me it was still an hour walking ( I already walked an hour in that blistering heat) I grabbed a taxibike. Cool way to talk to locals.
Nice, peacefull coast village. And again staring all the time. Around noon I headed back on a microbus to Chinandega and had lunch in a bakery (some local pastry filled with ham, fresh cheese and veggies, yummie). After some wandering around on the market and surviving another raindrash  I headed back to the hotel to see if my luggage got back...
There Arelys called me to say that they still hadn't brought it, probably it will arrive monday. Let's hope so cause I start feeling like a hobo...

Today just prepared some powerpoint presentations to explain my goals during my stay here. I'm actually really looking forward to the shrimpcollaborations... Tomorrow I'll be present at  8 AM at the office, si senor!


No comments:

Post a Comment