Sunday, July 24

School's out, Let's go surfing...

Just got back from an amazing weekend in Léon.
And I'm exhausted, in a good way...


Friday night after working a full week for my thesis at the "shrimpy factory", I really needed an escape from serious people. So when I woke up saturday morning I just packed my bag for the weekend and left. I managed to catch a cheap microbus to Léon, "biggest" university town of Nicaragua.




Arriving there I did what I always do when I travel, finding the most cheery hostel in town. You just got to love hostels, you meet people in no time and there's always stuff to do. This time, Bigfoot hostel, amazing hippie-, organic-, pure earth- minded place. It was again freaking hot that day so after a stroll downtown and looking to some churches and stuff, I headed back to the hostel to hang the rest of the afternoon in one of their hammocks on the patio. Napped a bit, read a bit, chatt a bit and so I met these two English backpackers Louise and Ben. We went for dinner and by the time we got back a whole bunch of hostelhippies, lost US surfers and other crazy people were ready for a party night in Léon. Music in clubs here is, let's face it, even weirder than in France. I even heard a Nirvana song in a reggaeton remix. And the mix of partying Nicaraguans and foreign people is such great fun. I had a blast.

Sunday I signed up for a day of surfing with some people of the hostel. Ronnie, an english dude, escaped his country to surf a bit everywhere and ended up as so many others in Nicaragua given surf lessons. The whole group drove in an "almost-falling-apart" van to Las Peñitas, one of Léon's surf beaches. There's nothing there only miles and miles of beautiful beach, some wooden beach houses with hammocks and perfect waves. One of the Nicaraguan families that lives at that beach, stores up the surfboards for the hostel and we could use their beach house to hang out for the day. Surfing here in the pacific ocean is nothing compared to the few attempts I did in Belgium. I felt so tiny in that massive amount of foamy water, even with a longboard. Haaa, I think I have a new addiction.
We took a quick lunchbreak and surfed more in the afternoon. 
The day just went by soooo quick and after some rest in the hammocks at the beach house we drove back to Léon and I, with two red knees and elbows of the surf adventure, catched a microbus back to Chinandega. I got to know some people at the hostel to travel with next weekends, so goodbye hotel boredom!

Tomorrow back to shrimpbusiness. We're visiting a lab somewhere in  nomansland at 7 AM madderfakkers! Don't get me wrong, so far I really like the stuff I do here for my thesis, but I get very ill and itchy of seriousness. I'm so signing up for life as a travelling hobo after university, promise made.

Luis.

Iglésia.

Basilico.


Léon city life.

Bigfoot Hostel

Chillin' in the hammock.


Paradise.


Surfs up. 
Pacific Ocean Baby


Landlords of the beach.

Volcanoes in the back.


No comments:

Post a Comment